Life is not certain and no year in our living memories has been a truer manifestation than the current year 2020. With the pandemic looming over the planet earth, the global backbone of economy, health, education and every other imaginable facet has seen immense suffering. However, on a global timescale, this isn’t a phenomenon of such surprise and has forced us to truly turn inside and look at the most important aspect of being human, humanity itself.
Not deterred by the immense difficulties, VSSUT‘s Alumni Association & Students have come forward with multiple initiatives amidst this pandemic making it a point that the future to be realises what it takes to be responsible and stand firm against this avalanche. Some of the notable initiatives during the pandemic are:
- VSSUT Alumni Association extended its community services in the nearby communities of the university, i.e., Kirba and Panitanki Village by providing COVID-19 Relief Support while ensuring proper sanitation measures.
- The most noticeable Hostel of the University, Pulaha, was converted into a massive 1000 bed COVID Care Center with the assistance of VIMSAR Burla Medical support and Sambalpur District Administration. This was done in close quarters of VIMSAR where 2 isolation wards were set up.
- Idea & Innovation Club of the University came up with a workshop for DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Mask and a Hackathon on the theme of COVID to encourage students to come up with projects that could help alleviate the problems.
- Robotics Society of the University developed a contactless UV Disinfection device called UVRAS (Ultra Violet Robot-Assisted Sanitization) which uses UV radiation to sanitise & disinfect premises without physical contact. The society’s sanitising campaign was furthered by an automatic hand sanitiser dispenser.
- Entrepreneurship Cell, VSSUT conducted 2 webinars, first, on the topic “How to setup new Business Model for your Startup POST COVID-19” under the mentorship of the Entrepreneur cum Govt. Advisor, Arijit Bhattacharya and the second, on “Fundraising Technique” with Sukriti Saroj, Manager – Portfolio and Investments at Social Alpha.
- Hrudanand Prusty (student of the 2020 batch) along with a group of students started the initiative, Unlock Education, where free tutorials and guidance were provided to the students of Class VIII to Class X under any three boards of the state. Education was provided over videotelephony platforms and doubt clearance was done via WhatsApp groups.
- Continuing its tradition of teaching students from nearby villages, Sanskar Kendra switched to online platforms depending upon students convenience ensuring that the process was unbroken.
- A magazine titled, “FRONTLINE WARRIORS – Flaring to Retain the Spark of Hope” was launched by Hrudanand Prusty on frontline workers as a mark of honour for their selfless efforts to battle the pandemic. The magazine serves as a token of the humungous effort by these workers done over 80 departments including health, administration, sanitation, media and others.
VSSUT, Burla is also the first institution to conduct online examination for both the final year and intermediate year students under the innovative method of KNOCK (Knowledge Outcome Kiosk). With efforts in and beyond academics, the University has stood up to its legacy and continued to carry on the baton despite all the odds. The pandemic has definitely distanced all of us in terms of space but can never separate the undying spirit of humanity that promises to stay alive in the darkest of the nights, even in the most desperate times. This manifested even more in the campaign of VSSUT against COVID-19 that has lasted for 6 long months so far and shows to only grow stronger with time. Stay Safe!