The Fault In Our Stars (popularly condensed into TFIOS) by John Green is a book that grows upon you. Some would say that it is a clichéd love story where someone gets sick and dies in the end. But is the end the only thing that we care about when we read a book? This painful, yet beautiful story of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters contemplates love, life and death. It brings forth some hard hitting truths of life put into the simplest of words, which gnaw at your heart and make you feel the pain the protagonists feel. Short and sad, melancholic and intellectual – the book is definitely worth a read.
Here are some of the best quotes from the book –
- Just something about the thousand promises we make to people.
- Dilemma of many, when they want to say so much but end up saying too little or nothing at all.
- The harsh truth about our myriad wishes.
- Remember when you were totally hungover after finishing a really good book? This describes what it feels like over that period of time.
- We live hoping this weren’t true.
- Everyone will hurt you at some point of time or the other. But at least, you get a choice about who gets to hurt you.
- What grief does to oneself is humbling indeed.
- Some of the truest lines ever written down.
- “What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”
- And you also get to choose who breaks your heart.
- My personal favorite.
Short and sad, melancholic and intellectual – the book is definitely worth a read.