Yoga is a journey of the self, through the self and to the self. It is a way of life that helps us to practically see how the inner patterns of consciousness create the outer realities of life.
The UNGA (United Nations General Assembly) declared an International Day for Yoga unanimously. The Indian Prime Minister, honorable Narendra Modi in his UN address suggested the date of 21st June, as it is the longest day of the year in Northern Hemisphere.
Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology, Burla hosted its 3rd International Yoga Day on dated 21 June 2017. The events began with the inauguration of the Yoga Complex by honourable Vice Chancellor, Prof E. Saibaba Reddy followed by a common Yoga session where everybody performed the Surya Namaskar.
Then, it was time for the general spiritual meeting, held in the seminar hall of the Civil Dept. with Swami Aatmananda as the Chief Speaker; Vice Chancellor, Prof E. Saibaba Reddy as the Chief Guest; Dean of Students’ Welfare, Prof Debadutta Mishra; Vice President,Yoga Club, Dr. Debabrata Giri; Faculty Advisor, Dr. G. Nath; and Student Coordinator, Anurag Behera as the dignitaries on the dais.
The meeting started with the lighting of the holy lamp followed by a welcome speech delivered by the Vice President of Yoga Club after which the Chief Speaker, Swami Aatmananda enlighted the crowd with his words on how ‘Yoga: A group of physical, mental and spiritual practices’ helps in external, internal and eternal growth and development of an individual. He explained the importance of ‘Yoga’ and how it helps the students. Refreshments of fresh fruits and dry fruits served alongside added to the gist of the Yoga Day.
The prize distribution ceremony followed the speech. For the first time ever, the Yoga Club, VSSUT, Burla organised a national level online competition. Active participation was observed not only by the students of VSSUT, Burla; but also from colleges like IIT BHU, IIT Bombay, IIIT Bhubaneswar, CET Bhubaneswar and JIST Assam. The competitions held were as follows-
- Yoga Posture Contest- the participants had to send their best picture in a yogasana.
- Yoga Article Writing Contest- participants had to mail an article of maximum 2000 words on the topic- ‘Yoga: A methodology to unveil miracles’.
- Yoga Logo Designing Contest- participants were required to design a logo for the Yoga Club, VSSUT Burla.
- Yoga T-shirt Designing Contest- the participants were required to design a T-shirt for the Yoga Club, VSSUT Burla.
- Decode Health Contest- the participants were given with a problem statement for which they had to mail an effective solution.
The conclusion perceived a meeting along with the memento giving ceremony and the vote of thanks, followed by a pledge to make Yoga an integral part of our daily life.